Old T Shirt Pom-Poms are a great way to use the extra parts of old shirts when making crafts from them.
I have been making a TON of Old T Shirt Yarn lately, and it’s easiest to make using the bottom 1/2 of a t shirt. I was looking around my craft room and I now have a TON of half t shirts, so I really wanted to start using them in some crafts. It took 3 half shirts to make these 3 pom-poms.
What you’ll need:
- Old TShirts
- Circular things (to trace)
I used to make pom-poms all the time growing up out of yarn. The only difference between these and yarn pom-poms is that you do not use a continuous piece of material when wrapping the circles.
1. Trace 2 large circles (big pom-pom) and 2 little circles (small pom-pom) on the cardboard and cut them out. Use something smaller and trace a circle in the center of the circles, cut them out of both circles of the same size at the same time. This is so they line up when your done. You’ll also want to cut out a notch in both sets. It looks like doughnut with a bit taken out.
2. Cut your old t shirts into strips 1/2 an inch thick.
3. Take one of the strips and place it between 2 of the same size circles.
4. Wrap the circle with the strips of old t shirt. The more your wrap it the denser the pom-pom will be.
* For the larger pom-pom I wrapped it all the way around with one color and then wrapped it in two more layers of the other colors. For the smaller pom-poms I changed colors each time I added a new strip.
5. Pull the ends of the strip you put between the two piece of cardboard, so that it is tight when you take the cardboard off
6. With the wrapped circle on the table, cut the old t shirt strips along the edge of the circles. The easiest way is to run your scissors between the two pieces of cardboard.
7. Once they are all cut, and still pressing it down onto the table, pull the long strips tighter and knot them securely.
8. Give your pom-pom a little trim until you’re happy with the lengths.
These little guys I made are going to be part of the new guestroom design, but that’s no where near ready to show yet. Hopefully soon!
How do you use pom-poms in decor?
P.S. See that pillow in the background? It’s made from an Old T Shirt as well! Check out how to make a No-Sew Old T Shirt Pillow
Thank you for featuring me!