Old t shirt rosettes are a basic fabric flower made from an your favorite worn out old t shirt.
The rosettes are a very useful fabric flower to know how to make, you’ll see that they are a base for a lot of my designs and I’ll be referencing back to this post a lot. These are super easy to make and require very little instruction. I think the photos explain as much as any words could.
1. Cut a piece of old t shirt material. I used a piece that was about 1.5inches wide and 12 inches long. (I had actually started the process of making old t shirt yarn, and stopped before pulling it. Then cut a segment off of that.) Fold that strip in half.
2. Twist the folded strip away from you while beginning to wrap the twisted piece in a coil.
3. Once coiled once around, start to tack the coil together on the underside of the rosette.
4. Continue to coil while twisting the fabric and tacking it to the coil as you go around.
- Keep strip folded in half, it will have a tendency to spread out while twisting.
- Don’t get frustrated, it requires a little patience until you make a couple of them.
5. Wrap and twist it until the rosette is as big as you want it, or you are at the end of your strip of fabric. Let end of fabric finish towards the center of the rosette, rather then towards the outside. You can trim the extra off and it won’t poke out from the side.
6. Stitch the end down so you do not see it.
I’ll be posting a lot of uses for these rosettes soon! I really love old t shirts! they can be so much fun.