These sunflowers are great because the more petals you add the bigger they get, and they have a good bit of weight and depth to them, they are amazing to the touch.
It was lucky I have a few yellow and black old t shirts to make a bunch of these flowers, but I’m sure they will look beautiful in any color combination.
1. Cut a piece of old t shirt material. I used a piece that was about 1.5inches wide . The more petals you need the longer you’ll need that strip to be. (I had actually started the process of making old t shirt yarn, and stopped before pulling it. Then cut a segment off of that.) Cut the corner at an angle.
2. Fold the tip down as in the graphic to the left.
3. Fold the long end over.
4. When it is flipped it will look like a pocket with a triangle below it.
5. Trim along the edge so the piece looks like a diamond.
6. Flip the piece over and fold up the two loose tips, then stitch the triangle shut with one or two stitches.
After you create a bunch of petals you hot glue them together around in a spiral. For different size sunflowers add different number of petals around the circle. you can also add additional layers.
* The featured sunflowers are 5 petals around and 2 layers for the smaller sunflower, and 6 petals around and 3 layers for the larger sunflower.
I’m going to try and make a really big one soon!
Next you need to use your contrasting fabric to make a rosette for the center. Here’s my tutorial on How to Make Old T Shirt Rosettes.
Once you’ve made a rosette big enough to cover the center of your circle of petals (you’ll want to cover up to hide your single stitches), hot glue the rosette onto the petal ring.
Now your flowers are ready for whatever project you would like!