Just in time for the 4th of July… and the World Cup knock out rounds, it’s time for some Patriotic Sugar Cookies!
They are really easy and a great way to create a festive dessert all of your family and friends will love.
Side note, who else is really enjoying the World Cup?
Sugar Cookie Ingredients:
- 6 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and beat for another minute.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet one cu at a time. If the dough is still too moist add a little more flour. dough should easily pull out of the bowl.
6. On a floured surface, roll out about a third of the dough (the recipe makes about 60 cookies, so it’s way too much dough to roll out at once). I have foound that 1/3-1/2 inch think is really good. They taste best a little on the thick side.
7. Bake for 8 -10 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden brown.
… Now for the icing
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 3oz pasteurized egg whites
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they are foamy.
2. Mix in vanilla
3. Slowly add the sugar and mix until desired texture.
Divide the icing into as many containers as you will need colors. I used about 50 percent of the icing as just white by piping and flooding the cookies in their shapes in white. I then mixed one batch of blue icing and another in red to decorate the cookies in a patriotic style.
* for the piping icing, mix in extra confectioners sugar so it is thicker then the flooding icing.
For the heart shaped cookies i tried out two different styles of American flag inspired cookies, which one do you like better?
Making these cookies as a gift? Here’s a FREE PRINTABLE for download – Patriotic Gift Tags