Salted Caramel Banana Chips – Bananas Foster in a Chip!
These are not difficult to make, but they require a lot of time (baking the banana chips takes about 5 hours!) so break out your patience for this recipe. But the result is sweet and salty snack for the banana lover in your family! Great movie night snack.
- 3 Bananas
- Lemon juice
- 1/2 White sugar
- 6 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt / Sea Salt ( to sprinkle )
- 2 tbsp Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Cut the bananas into slices less then 1/4 inch thick, closer to 1/8 inch if possible.
2. Dip each of the banana slices into the lemon juice to coat them and place them on a very lightly greased cookie sheet.
3. Bake the bananas for 1.5 hours, flip, and bake for another 1.5 hours more. Continue to bake for another 2 hours flipping and checking them every 20-30 minutes. Remove and cool when they are crispy.
4. The Caramel… I used a lighter caramel for these chips…
In a flat bottom pan melt the sugar, salt and corn syrup. Bring sugar to 240 degrees In another small pot, melt the butter and then mix in the cream. Bring the cream and butter mixture to almost a boil. Add the cream mixture to the sugar…. And whisk away! Remove from the stove, add vanilla, and cool for a minute, then quickly drizzle over the chips. While the caramel is still warm on the chips sprinkle with salt.